Sunday 11 October 2015

Independent Woman

Earlier today, my washing machine broke mid cycle. Full of water, clothes still in there, door locked (not that I wanted to open it anyway), and nothing I did made it go again. So I rang my parents. My fathers only suggestion that I hadn't already attempted ("have you tried turning it off and on again?") was to find a man

I did not appreciate the sentiment that I should go next door to get help just because I'm a woman. 

At this juncture, I'd like to point out that I fixed the washing machine eventually, getting soaked in the process, but hey, I did it on my own because I AM AN INTELLEGENT, INDEPENDENT WOMAN WHO DOESN'T NEED A MAN.

Then, this evening, I got a message from my ex. Me going to the gym came up in conversation, and he said, and I quote "you're single now, so need to find a nice man. Lol".

Excuse me? Why does me going to the gym have anything to do with any one else? I'm not going to meet men, I'm not going to make myself more attractive to men, I'm going FOR ME, because I want to. 

Regardless of my martial status, I don't "need" to do anything. In fact, a man is very low on my list of priorities at the moment. 

I realise this sounds like I'm man hating. I'm not. I just don't like how the two most influential men in my life over the past few years seem to believe that I am incapable of doing something for myself, whether that be DIY or getting fit. 

I am an strong, intelligent, independent woman.


No comments:

Post a Comment