Sunday 28 November 2010

Evaluation

Yeah. Nano isn't happening for me this year. Again.

I have simply come to the conclusion there is just no way I can do it. I'm on 11 000 words with three full writing days left; there is no way in hell I can write the remaining 39 000 words in that time. That's what, 13 000 words a day? Others may be able to do that, but I struggled with writing 4500 words, so I know my limits.

I am disappointed in myself, I'm happy to admit it. I think it would have been amazing if I had managed to crawl my way back winning this year, and not for anybody else or for any other reason but to have that personal satisfaction that I achieved something. But the odds were stacked against me too high, and I just don't have the willpower.

Part of the problem was not getting into the mind set from the start, but my main issue is that I didn't know my story this year. I had a very brief outline of what happens at the beginning middle and end, but no real detail or planning. I was under prepared, plain and simple.

However, this year, I will not allow this book to sit untouched on my computer. I know what I am capable of, and I will finish it. I will edit both parts. I will edit them again. Then next November, maybe I'll have a third part ready to draft, and then I can use the createspace discount they give nanowrimo winners each year to self publish the finished thing. Maybe even sell a copy or two on amazon. I'm not an idiot, I don't expect to ever get an agent or be published properly, but just to have a physical copy of something I have written would be more than enough for me.

Oh, and in case you were wondering what I was doing when I should have been writing since I ... well stopped writing, I finished Ouran High School Host Club anime and started on the manga, finished reading Watashi ni xx Shinasai, and watched the entirety of True Blood season three.

Sometimes a girl needs many distractions.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment