Saturday 10 March 2018

Rewatchable

I used to write review posts every time I finished a series. These posts documented my transition from anime to Japanese drama to Korean drama, which is pretty much what I stick with now. There seems to have been a drastic rise in Chinese dramas lately, but I haven’t yet felt the desire to explore them. To be honest, I used to really enjoy writing review posts, but slowly it turned into a chore and eventually I just couldn’t be bothered anymore. I’m fairly certain I stopped writing reviews when I started using Viki, so the first drama that I didn’t write a review for must have been “The Heirs”.

Wow. So long ago. I wish I had dates of when I started and finished watching each series. Mydramalist only tells me alphabetical list.

I have been thinking for a while about writing a post about the Asian dramas I have enjoyed since stopping my review posts, but I figured that would take me ages. So, instead, here are 5 dramas I would rewatch and recommend to anyone for a first time viewing.



Chicago Typewriter
Three resistance fighters from Japanese occupied Korea in the 1930’s are reincarnated in modern day Seoul. The series follows a writer, his ghostwriter and a book lover as they start to remember their past lives and solve the mystery of what happened. It’s a really interesting story that keeps you on the edge of your seat, and I found the history of it so fascinating.

Descendants of the Sun
The captain of a Special Forces Unit has a chance meeting with an old girlfriend when she volunteers in a war torn country with her team of doctors and they are stationed together. Various things happen, and every episode is the perfect mix of danger, romance and hot guys running around topless. Also, Onew is in it.

Healer
A second rate reporter discovers ‘Healer’, a mysterious illegal errand boy run foul of dangerous people, and through various chance meetings, strives to discover his true identity. Again, it’s a lot of action, blindfolded kisses and general addictiveness.

Secret Garden
Classic romantic body swap. I did actually review this one, and wasn’t too impressed at the time, but it’s a story that has really stuck with me and I often think about watching it again. The sit up scene *sighs wistfully*.

W - Two Worlds
The daughter of a missing famous webtoonist is sucked into the world her father created, and the only way out is to make the chapter end. Over time, she finds herself being pulled into the cartoon more and more as she struggles to find her father and the identity of a mysterious character who keeps trying to kill the main character. Lots of action, lots of laughs, a huge amount of chemistry and one that keeps you hooked episode after episode.



I actually started this post with no idea if I had 5 dramas or 3 or 20, but somehow it magically worked out at 5. Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment