Friday 5 January 2018

Names

You know, it's pretty hard to name something. There's a lot of responsibility to it. You can't really change a name - it's something that sticks, something that defines. 

Children's names aren't so much of a problem. I have always been fairly sure on my options. They've had to change slightly over time due to close friends and family choosing the same or similar names, but the main one that I've had my heart set on for literally decades remains. Seren. It was the name of a character in a Bernard Cornwell book. Welsh. It means star. 

I've been set on a pet name for years too, but even that has become more complicated. I've always loved cats, and while it took me years to get over Milo, eventually I was ready enough to want another. One night, my parents were really late coming home, and me being morbid, I was starting to worry for their safety. Eventually I managed to get hold of them, and my mum excitedly told me they were so late because they were bringing home a new member of the family. Obviously I jumped to the conclusion that they had somehow got hold of a cat, an assumption not helped by my mum very carefully carrying a large box out of the car when they finally returned home. Only it wasn't a cat. It was a Henry vacuum cleaner. Naturally, I decided then that if I ever had a male cat, I should call him Henry. Which is fine unless the name starts to grow on you, not helped by a certain Mr Lau of Super Junior. So now I'm in the situation where if I ever I have a little boy, I'm going to name him after a fucking hoover. 

Anyway, the point of this post is I now have a kitten who needs a name. She was Booties in her first and second home, but I can't be doing with such a pathetic name. Detective Mittens was a very serious contender, but even if I registered her as just Mittens, I think I'd be just as embarrassed to hear the vet shouting that out as I would for her full name. At the moment, she's Agi, but today I started to think Haru might be quite cute. 

I wanted my niece to name her, but she's two and the most inventive name she could come up with was Baby Cat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment