Monday 22 January 2018

Umshik

Today I finally plucked up the courage to do something I've been wanting to do for months.

Not long after I moved here, I discovered that my local supermarket had a world foods aisle that featured an Asian section. Not that surprising, you might say, but this section had Korean stuff. I have never seen Korean food items in a supermarket before. I was very excited.

You see, Korean food just isn't a popular cuisine where I live, so I have no idea of the flavours or style of Korean cooking. Bearing in mind I very much want to go there one day, it's generally a good idea to try to familiarise yourself with the local cuisine first. Also, I'm pretty fed up of cooking the same things over and over again - I want to try cooking something new.

Anyway, I discovered a select choice of Korean snacks and ingredients. However, for some reason, I could not bring myself to actually buy anything. I can't explain why, but every time I went into the world food aisle, I would look, but then chicken out before I could pick anything off the shelves. It was nonsense, but I couldn't snap out of it. I visited this aisle every time I went into this supermarket for months.

Today, after half a pint of cider after work, I decided that today was going to be my day. I needed butter so there was my excuse to go to the supermarket in the first place, and I would also at least buy some ramyun and a tub of gochujang.

So I did.

And then I giggled the whole way home.


No comments:

Post a Comment