Saturday 27 August 2011

Spare Part

As you know, I am currently working as costume trainee on a new drama. Part of my role as trainee is obviously to learn, as well as do all the menial tasks noone else wants to do and help anyone in the costume department wherever and whenever needed.

In the past, I have been confident on set because if it's just me, as it always is, I know exactly what I'm doing. What I'm finding most difficult on this shoot is knowing my place. For instance, on my first day on set I was told to stick by the daily, a costume assistant who comes in just for a day or two. So I did, but as she knew in her head how she wanted them to look, I couldn't really do anything but help when she wanted it. I couldn't take control of my own group and keep them in line. Today, I was put in charge of all the Extras, a task that was really exciting for me as I could finally know exactly what im supposed to be doing. However, as soon as I started doing my job, another one of the costume dept jumped in, kind of taking over and leaving me feeling somewhat redundant again.

It's just frustrating. I finally find my own place, finally get the opportunity to work on my own initiative, and it gets taken away from me. I don't think it's being done intentionally, they just want to make sure everything is perfect? Bit it just leaves me felling useelrs.

Sorry, moan over.

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment