Wednesday 18 January 2012

Engrish

I was just watching Personal Taste, and laughing almost hysterically. Then it occurred to me had someone asked my why I was laughing so much, the reason would not be the funny situation brought about due to the plot of a guy pretending to be gay, but simply 'because they are talking English.'

Not in a racist haha-they-think-they-can-speak-english-but-they-can't-because-they-are-korean sort of way. More like haha-oh-my-god-they-are-speaking-the-same-language-as-me way. Like when you see your favourite celebrity wearing the same dress as you have just brought, that sense of 'awesome, they are just like me, that makes me cool.'

Already I'm thinking I should delete this post because I sound like a lunatic.

It just amused me, OK?

I guess I'm so used to watching things that are in a foreign language that when my own language is used, it takes me by surprise. It's a novelty.

Having said that, the way they speak is pretty amusing. Even hearing them use non-asian names is odd, you get so used to the style of the names, and the honorifics, that to come across someone just called Joe makes you pause for thought. Hearing a non-native English speaker saying something like 'Yo yo yo man, lets go!' or 'What you talkin' 'bout?' is always going to be a little weird when it isn't coming out of some American douche's mouth. 

Although to be fair, I bet some people learn English through watching American TV shows, just like how I am picking up Japanese and Korean from Asian drama. So if I should like an idiot speaking colloquially in a foreign language, then I give my full permission for the native speakers of that tongue to laugh hysterically at me as well.

I'm going to stop there, before I dig myself any further into a hole.

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment