Monday 30 January 2012

EXO

So SM Entertainment have been promoting their new boyband for what feels like ages now, and last night, they released their first MV. I figured I would share a few thoughts.

SM are a Korean label, and home to some of my favourite bands, namely Super Junior, TVXQ/DBSK, SHINee and Trax. Their new group, the first boyband to debut since SHINee I believe, are called EXO, and consist of two sub groups, EXO K and EXO M, coming together to make EXO PLANET. They will release their songs in both Korean and Mandarin. Kind of like Super Junior M releasing Perfection in Mandarin and Korean at the same time, but less biased.

Up until now, all we have seen are teaser trailers, a few minutes at a time, introducing us primarily to the dance skills of the members, and mostly introducing us to Kai. I'm not hating on the boy, he is clearly really talented for SM to promote him so much more than the other members, some of whom I'm pretty sure haven't even been revealed yet, but I'm not surprised that people started to think EXO M was the group while EXO K actually stood for EXO KAI.

Their first song and MV, 'What is Love', I have to admit, isn't really my sort of thing. A bit ballad-y, and far too much use of 'baby'. So why has the tune being going through my head almost constantly all day?? To be honest its kinda addictive. I've seen comparisons to TVXQ's 'Before You Go', and I can see why from all the 'oooooh''s and the tune and whatnot, but its not like its a carbon copy. These boys would have been in training throughout TVXQ's career, obviously they would be inspired by them. Its not likely they wrote the song anyway, they'll just be singing what and how SM tells them to.

KOREAN VERSION
CHINESE VERSION


The MV's are pretty cool and suit the song well, the two versions being subtly different but both very visually dynamic, being set in sparse countryside and a run down hut with sunshine filtering in through the walls and roof, which is added to the drama of an eclipse. However, I think I prefer the Mandarin vocal and the Korean video. The Mandarin video seemed to throw in some of the teaser footage somewhat haphazardly, and it didn't fit in with the song or the rest of the video at all.  It feels like they ran out of footage half way through so shoved whatever in as filler while the Korean version felt much more consistent.

I like it, I really do, but I'll probably only want to listen to it when I'm specifically in the mood for it, meaning I'd more than likely skip it a fair amount. I do, however, eagerly anticipate what comes next from these boys, and their official debut.

At least they won't break their debut stage, like B.A.P. did ...

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment