Friday 13 April 2012

HEY! Don't Bring me Down

What did we do before the Internet? Not only is it my primary form of entertainment, but also my first port of call when I have a problem, even if that problem is the Internet itself.

Like today, I was quite contentedly in the midst of watching My Girlfriend is a Gumiho when the player stopped playing. I didn't think much of it, as it happens quite a lot with the homehub cutting out and repairing itself so regularly, so I just refreshed the page. But nothing happened, all that came up was 'CANNOT FIND PAGE' or whatever, and a warning under my wireless saying 'Limited or no connectivity'.

I checked Homehub. Fine.

I checked that I could use the Internet on both PC and iPhone. Fine and fine.

So, with the conclusion that there must be an issue with Laptop rather than the router, I googled for help. As I browsed through the many results, many from people asking for help the same as I was, it occurred to me how strange it was. All these people are asking for help gaining access to something they clearly already have access to, and, like me, their first response is to look for guidance online. How the hell did we manage before??

Thinking about it, before the Internet, people wouldn't have had trouble getting online. Problem solved.

Anyway, its all working fine now. Something about my IP being wrong all of a sudden. I don't know. I just typed things into the black box thing and pretended to be a computer hacker, while secretly freaking out that it was going to be messed up forever and my lifetime of IT support was about to be in another country.

Again, if even for a brief moment, the idea of buying a new laptop seemed very tempting. Zombie laptop, you aren't doing yourself any favours ... although I accept that you were probably under the influence of Homehub's bad behaviour.

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment