Sunday 15 April 2012

Destiny

I wanted to write a proper post for you, but seeing as how I seem to be struggling to keep my eyes open right now, maybe I'll be able to write more later in edit.

If it's any consolation, I just fell asleep in the middle of a section of My Girlfriend is a Gumiho.


Right, so it is now about the time when I would normally be writing my next post, and I just remembered I had completely forgotten to elaborate on this one. I thought I would keep the above to document exactly what I was thinking in the early hours of the 15th April 2012, which was clearly 'Screw blogging, I want to go to sleep'.

However, if one does not fall asleep mid-post (see the latter part of August 2011 for some prime examples of sleep blogging) the reverse seems to happen instead. And so, until about 2am, I followed the last hours of Titanic on twitter via @TitanicRealTime.

It was an account set up by The History Press, and literally tweeted minute by minute what was happening on the boat at that time 100 years previously, from the perspectives of Captain, passengers, officers, engineers and even nearby vessels. Up until just before midnight on April 14th, the tweets were all very complimentary of the ship, interesting but not particularly intriguing ... but then things started to feel more and more ominous as you came to realise all the signs were there.

Following the sinking of the ship was morbidly fascinating, especially when you think about how quickly it all happened. Lifeboats were being rowed away from the ship before some officers at their posts even knew anything serious had happened. Engineers fought to save the ship (the cold water hitting the boilers meant a risk of explosion) for far longer than I had ever assumed, so its no wonder that none survived.

I went to sleep knowing that when I woke up, the Carpathia would have showed up to rescue the 700 odd people in lifeboats, leaving 1500 dead in the water. Less than 350 of those bodies were retrieved.

It was weird thinking about events that had happened 100 years before as if they were happening right then, and it was strangely easy to get sucked in by it. A brilliant idea though, and hugely informative for someone, who like most of the world, know little more than what James Cameron taught them 15 years ago.

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment