Saturday 28 July 2012

Dancing Out

I kind of wanted this post to be somewhat of a reflection of the London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony, but now I think about it, I don't know what to say.

Was it impressive?
Yes.

Did it blow me away?
No.

I didn't like how our history started at the industrial revolutuion, rather than even hinting at the rich and influencial past we have not only nationally, but across the world. The actual production? To me, it lacked something. Precision, maybe. I have such vivid memories of the Bejing opening ceremony and how the synchronised sections were so utterly flawless that it took your breath away. In London, the timing always seemed ever so slightly off, especially in the first 'history' section, and the non-professional performers stood out like an extremely awkward sore thumb. The guys who were really getting into it were great ... the very British half hearted-ers were somewhat disappointing and a quite frankly a little embarrassing.

The Queen being delivered to the stadium by James Bond? Epic. Mr. Bean? Amazing. The British humour mixed with renowned characters is something that the majority would understand. The GOSH and NHS tributes were awesome, especially when combined with classic children's British literature, but I couldn't help but think that to an outsider, it would seem that the NHS exists to give children nightmares.Also, I'm fairly certain the commentator said 'Voldemart' and 'Chucky Chucky Bang Bang.' so I have no idea what to make of that.

Basically, it was truly British all the way through ... whether this is a good or bad thing I am unsure. I fear much of it will have completely gone over the heads of many of the visiting countries. On the plus side, at least the whole world knows how weird us Brits are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment