Friday 15 April 2011

Tokyo Dogs

I have just finished watching Tokyo Dogs, and seeing as I said I would let you know what I thought of it when I had finished the series, I thought I would do so while it is still fresh in my mind. I mean SUPER FRESH, I literally finished watching it 30 seconds ago. I still have a massive smile on my face from the final scene.

I ADORED this series. It was exciting, not too sickly romantic and, to be frank, FUCKING HILARIOUS. I have never laughed so much at a J-drama than I did for the first episode.

It was all about a young cop, So (Oguri) whose life revolves around catching his fathers murderer, Jinno. Various events land him with a new partner, Marou (Mizushima), and the two of them are assigned to the protection of Yuki, an amnesiac who was found at the scene of Jinno's latest crime but cant remember how she ended up there.

So and Marou are constantly bickering at each other for the most stupid things at the most inappropriate times, and So would always get the most ridiculous calls from his mother right when the tension was at his highest. I think that was what made the series so funny. The suspense and tension would build, and you'd really be getting into the action side of the plot, with all the gun fights and chases etc, and then they would throw in something like that.

Obviously, Yuki falls for So, and Marou falls for Yuki, and So falls for Yuki but wont admit it to even himself. The final scene that still has me smiling is when So is leaving to go to New York, and Marou and Yuki are saying goodbye. So is his usual distant self, and says goodbye and walks away. Marou, knowing how Yuki feels for So, asks her if its really OK to let him go like that, so she runs after him, shouting his name. Slow mo, romantic music, close ups of Yuki running and So's retreating back. She reaches him and throws her arms around his neck. He flips her over his shoulder and throws her to the ground, in full-on self defence mode, and Marou has just jump in to stop him from stamping on her neck. Romantic mood - ruined. ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS.

The opening was so cool, as was the closing credits. I wish I could show you the ending with the song, but EXILE are super on the ball with copyright, so you'll just have to appreciate it for its cinematography alone. I don't think you'll complain. They are running around in the rain, I call that VERY GOOD cinematography.
Next on my list is the Hana Yori Dango movie. That's the problem with watching things as they are ranked in order of popularity, especially if they are a multiple season thing, such as HYD. I've watched 4 dramas since the first and second series, and I was lucky that they both were next to each other on the ratings (seeing as I had already watched the only J-drama between them, Nobuta wo Produce, before I started the making my way down the most popular list). Its going to be the same if I ever reach the rest of Gokusen, but I'm thinking that when I reach 30, I'll go back to 1 and fill in the gaps with the other Asian drama I was missing in favour of just watching the Japanese ones.

No, this has nothing to do with my knowledge that several of these other dramas feature the talents of various Korean boy bands.

*COUGH*Boys over Flowers*COUGH*SHINee*COUGH*

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment