Sunday 4 March 2012

Family Holidays

Family holidays are a strange affair.

This week, to coincide with my father's birthday, and just days away from my sisters birthday and mothers day, my family decided it would be a fantastic idea to go on a good old fashioned family holiday together. In Wales. In March. Yeah, I don't understand it either. We could have gone somewhere however marginally warmer down south, but no, Wales it is. Seeing as I have to be back for school on Friday, we had to come in three cars; My sister's journey took 5 hours, while ours took 3. I arrived before all of them, even though my sister was an hour ahead of me when I left, and I left at the same time as my parents.

I don't mind driving on my own, but car games aren't so fun without someone to play them with. Like screaming out 'I can see the sea' seems to have less meaning when the only one who can hear it is yourself. Also, when people cut you up, you can laugh it off with someone else, when you are on your own it is somewhat more scary. Idiot drivers are idiots.

So now I'm in a little cottage in the middle of nowhere, with variable signal and access to access-less wireless. They say that it varies from cottage to cottage, so I guess it is ran from the owners house, but seeing as all the holiday lets are old outbuildings, the walls are super thick. So far, we've had to hang out of a window for connection. I don't much fancy having to go outside to watch City Hunter, especially when the time I need to watch it is like now.

The cottage itself it's pretty cool, if you ignore the wifi thing. It's pretty big and clean looking, it doesn't have that old building feeling that I hate, even though it is old. There are a few other cottages around in the same area, but ours is the biggest. There's a playground right outside the door, and next to it are stables with about 5 ponies and 4 goats. There is even a bunny.

I love my family, but that doesn't mean I am looking forward to the week ahead. There will be bickering, and we will have to do a lot of country stuff that doesn't particulary appeal to me. Like, I do like walking, but I dont want to spend all day every day doing it. Having said that, I doubt it would bother me if I could go at my own pace, but you can't just wander as a big group. Mostly, I'll get shouted at for not being awake early enough, despite how I don't complain when everyone falls asleep when I'm most awake.

Gah I can already tell this week is going to be hard. Put aside the family and daytime issues, and I'm still left with about 4 hours a night to fill between everyone going to sleep and me getting sleepy. 4 hours. With only very unreliable 3G. I'm glad I hadn't started City Hunter already. It's going to be hard enough going cold turkey without having been part way through a series.

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment