Wednesday 7 March 2012

Of Wales and Castles, obviously.

Today was the last day of this little family holiday for me, and as such, my family decided that we should go to a castle, seeing as I adore castles so much.

Cearnarfon was a pretty darn impressive castle though, even for a castle enthusiast such as myself. For one, it was huge, so much so that we had to take a break half way through to go into the town for lunch before going back to do the other half. Secondly, although it was a ruin, there were a lot of towers that were mostly intact, and we are all suffering greatly now for the amount of spiral staircases we had to climb. Like, so many that I got the shakes in my leg for the last hour of our time there, which was especially awkward when trying to act natural in the museum part. We did a lot of shouting and waving to each other from towers, pretending to be archers defending from the arrow slits against the enemies which my mother fondly named 'badasses', and sunbathing at the top of towers, even though an hour later it was hailing.

 I do love going to these sorts of places, especially with my sister. Its like we go back in time to when we were kids, and just run around playing like 4 and 7 year olds, rather than the nearly 24 and 27 year olds that we actually are. We have the attention span of kids anyway. In the museum part, we started off semi interested, but soon gave up and amused ourselves by powering through the rest of it singing Benny Hill and imagining what it looked like to the security camera. We also play tricks on my parents. We were ahead of them, us being on the parapet and them being on the ground, we shouted and waved, and then acted like we were going on even though it was a dead end. My sister, her fiance and myself squeezed in to the tiniest corner so they couldn't see us and thought we had gone through a non-existent door into the next tower, and then legged it back again before they could get to the parapet and realise we had tricked them into to climbing a load of stairs for nothing. We even lost someone. My sister and I were sunbathing on the walls of one of the towers (not as dangerous as it sounds) and her partner had climbed up the mini tower in the middle of it. We shouted to him that we were going down now, and he shouted back OK, and then we didn't see him for about an hour. It was at that point that we got stuck in the museum. As it turns out, so had he, as had our parents. It was a big museum.

I heard a Welsh accent today, and even heard people conversing in the actual Welsh language. I even learnt a new welsh word. Diolch. It means thank you. Therefore, I must come to the conclusion that they speak with Welsh accents in mainland Wales, but the Anglesey accent sounds suspiciously like English.

<3 x

No comments:

Post a Comment